A major concern of many men contemplating male breast reduction surgery is, “Will my excess breast tissue grow back after being surgically removed?” The answer is that it is very rare, but it can happen. Read on to learn more about gynecomastia and the possibility of regrowth.

What is Gynecomastia?

Gynecomastia is a condition that results in male breast enlargement in boys and men in one or both breasts. The main cause of this condition is changes or fluctuations in hormone levels.

Common gynecomastia symptoms include:

  • Male breast tissue enlargement
  • Swollen breast tissue
  • Tender or painful breasts
  • Breast buds or a rubbery lump beneath the nipple

Understandably, this condition can take a toll on a male’s self-esteem and confidence, making it difficult to maintain a sense of well-being. Thankfully, gynecomastia surgery is an effective solution to help males achieve the flat, masculine chest contour they desire.

When is Male Breast Reduction Surgery Needed?

When boys go through puberty, 65% will have some breast development due to their fluctuating hormones. Within a few months and up to 2 years,  about 95% will see their chests return to normal without any intervention. For the remaining 5%, male breast reduction surgery will be the


Gynecomastia surgery is often performed under light general anesthesia and involves the excision of glandular tissue along with liposuction. For severe cases of gynecomastia, excess skin, and tissue may also need to be removed for optimal results. In order to determine if you are an ideal candidate for this procedure, it is recommended that you seek out and schedule a consultation appointment with a skilled gynecomastia specialist like Dr. Delgado.

When Does Gynecomastia Recurrence Occur?

When boys have severe psychological repercussions from excess male breast tissue, surgery may be warranted. If surgery is done before the end of puberty, there is a small risk of regrowth. Weight gain and excess fatty tissue is also a possible reason for the recurrence of the male breast enlargement. During surgery, most of the fat cells will be removed, but some remain to sculpt the chest. Significant weight gain can also cause the remaining fat cells to expand.

Other possible sources for the regrowth of breast tissue may be:

  • Marijuana and other recreational drugs
    • Certain medications
    • Anabolic steroids
    • Hormonal imbalance
    • Decrease in testosterone
    • Psychological stress
    • Scar tissue build-up

In all cases, the chance of regrowth is so low that it should not be a factor in a man’s decision to have a normal chest. When seeking a consultation with a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon, you will be asked detailed questions by the surgeon to determine the cause of your male breasts to prevent recurrence.

Schedule a Consultation

If you are considering gynecomastia surgery to combat excess breast tissue, contact Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Delgado in Novato and San Francisco, CA today. With over 30 years of experience successfully treating patients with gynecomastia symptoms, you can trust that you are in skilled hands under his care.

Gynecomastia Surgery FAQs

Is gynecomastia surgery permanent?

In the majority of cases, the results of gynecomastia surgery are permanent. In order to ensure optimal results, seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery.

After gynecomastia surgery, can the male breasts grow back?

While rare, there are some instances where enlarged breasts return following gynecomastia surgery. During your consultation appointment with a board-certified plastic surgeon, they will ask you questions to best pinpoint the cause of your male breasts to prevent the chance of recurrence.

Can gynecomastia surgery remove breast cancer?

No, gynecomastia surgery is not the appropriate surgery to remove breast cancer.

Male Breast Grow Back

Male Breast Grow Back

Dr. Delgado Bio


Dr. Delgado, MD is a world-recognized plastic surgeon and specialist in the treatment of male breast enlargement, also called gynecomastia. He has developed new techniques and owns and operates gynecomastia.psstage.com, which has become the largest gynecomastia forum in the world. Dr. Delgado holds the two most coveted credentials; the certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and membership in the American Society of Plastic Surgery.