Abstract of original forum post: There is no answer for who is the best gynecomastia surgeon? The real question is who is the best gynecomastia surgeon for you! The price of male breast reduction surgery is quite variable and depends on many factors. One price does not fit all patients. Read on to find the best ways to choose the right surgeon at the best price for your gynecomastia surgery.
Choosing the Best Surgeon for Gynecomastia Treatment
The best gynecomastia surgeon for any person depends on many factors. The surgeon should be a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or the equivalent in other countries. This shows that he or she has had extensive plastic surgeon training and has passed the intensive testing to be certified. In the United States, being a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery (LINK) and the Aesthetic Society of Plastic surgery (link), are the highest education honors and displays specialty in cosmetic surgery. Gynecomastia is a cosmetic procedure to make a man’s chest look great and aesthetics is critical. The gynecomastia tissue is not cancer! This surgeon should do a significant number of gynecomastia reduction surgeries on a frequent basis like the doctors on our gynecomastia panel.
Gynecomastia Surgery Costs and Tips to Avoid Needing a Second Surgery
The price of gynecomastia surgery is somewhat complex. There are no set prices and a gynecomastia expert will, in general, be more expensive than a surgeon who does not do this often. When selecting a surgeon, price is one of many factors so do not select a surgeon only on cost. In my personal practice, 40% of my gynecomastia surgery is revision surgery on men who are not happy from other practices who now have to, unfortunately, pay for a second surgery.
5 Tips for Selecting Your Perfect Gynecomastia Surgeon
In selecting a gynecomastia surgeon these are some important factors to evaluate
- Plastic surgery training and certification
- State Medical Board in good standing
- Good Reviews on line by happy patients for male breast reduction surgery
- A solid consultation where you feel comfortable with the doctor’s knowledge and thoroughness and kindness of the staff.
- Documentation of his or her work by many before and after photos.
5 Factors to Consider When Looking at the Costs of Gynecomastia Surgery
The price of surgery is determined by many factors :
- Grade of the Gynecomastia – There is severity of a man’s gynecomastia and it is made up of grades 1-4. So as the grade increases so does the complexity and the time that the surgery will take. This adds up to more expensive.
- General vs Local anesthesia – The cost between the two are greatly different. I, personally, only use general anesthesia and there are many reasons for this decision. Some surgeons market local anesthesia very heavily.
- Revision gynecomastia surgery – A gynecomastia surgical expert see’s many of these patients. They can be simple to correct or impossible. It may take multiple surgeries. The cost is determined by the complexity.
- Location of your surgery – Certain cities cost a premium because of the expenses in that location to run a business. For example, New York City or San Francisco will cost more than a much smaller city or remote area.
- Expertise of the surgeon.
4 Gynecomastia Grades to Look at Before Choosing a Surgeon
The photos below show the grade or severity of gynecomastia. As the grade goes from 1-4 the complexity and time to perform the surgery does as well.
THE GRADES BELOW ARE GRADE 3,4,2,1,
Ways to do Your Research Before Choosing a Gynecomastia Surgeon
When selecting a gynecomastia surgeon who is “BEST FOR YOU” it is critical that you do your homework or research. This is a very important journey in your life and getting it right the first time will save you a lot of headaches. Visit a few doctors and don’t be afraid to travel if there is not a good choice in your area. This is an easy procedure to have performed in a distant location. Do not let price alone determine your choice.
If we look at some general costs. If we start at Grade 1 the surgery fee may be $3,500 and add $1,000 for each additional grade of severity. So the surgeons fee for a grade 1 patient may be $3500 and the grade 4 may be $6500. When you calculate the surgery center and anesthesiologist this is a function of time. Grade 1 will cost less and Grade 4 more. These fees are highly variable from place to place. In my surrounding bay area anesthesia is 300 per hour or more and surgery center is on average 800 per hour or more. So the Grade one case which takes say 2.5 hours would cost $6250 and a Grade 4 which takes 4 hours $10,900. These are very general but the point is the surgery varies a great deal. There are other more advanced procedures for the Grade 4 cases which require a free nipple mastectomy which cost significantly more, see below.
Grade 4 which requires a mastectomy:
This procedure involves:
* double incision mastectomy – this removes the extra skin.
* resizing and relocation of the nipple-areola complex to a more masculine location.
* possible extension, like in the case, to around the back.
* scar management.
Final Points When Looking at Price or Surgeons for Your Gynecomastia Procedure
Do your homework and select your surgeon carefully but with great confidence and belief. Cost is important but not the most important criteria. The gynecomastia experts on our site are well vetted by our criteria and perform great work. Any one of them would be a good starting point.