Hello Guest

Kind of freaking out

  • 2 Replies
Kind of freaking out
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »
So, I've had gynecomastia for the past 8 years of my life - I'm 20 now. I have dealt with it for awhile but about 6 months ago I decided I finally just wanted it out of my life. I have surgery set up for the 21st, presurgery testing tomorrow, and everything is happening really fast. I never thought I would say this but I'm actually unsure at this point.

My case is really not very severe at all. It is bilateral, I think because I was so chubby going through puberty that my body produced more estrogen than necessary. I've lived a fairly normal life, especially lately - I wear mostly what I want and have had relationships and whatnot, but it is always on my mind.

Now, the one thing on my mind is if the surgery is botched. The doctor is very well known though not specifically for gynecomastia. What I'm most worried about is a caved in nipple. She is going to be removing both gland and doing liposuction. I do have some puffiness and she felt it was necessary to remove gland.

I was recently told by an endocrinologist and his assistant that they thought my case didn't even need surgery. I feel otherwise but it put a lot of doubt in my mind and unfortunately I'm starting to obsess over it. I would love to have a normal, flat chest but I don't know if I moved too quickly with the surgery? Maybe I should get someone more gyno oriented? I've been reading all these sunken nipple stories too.

My doc is LeTourneau btw.
Any advice? Reassurance? I'm not sure which is appropriate.

Linkback: https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=22078.0

Re: Kind of freaking out
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:45:27 AM »
Welcome to gyne.org.  

It would really help if you could post some pictures.  It's hard to give opinions when you can't see what you're talking about, so you might consider posting some.  

These boards are FULL of postings that discuss "how to pick a gyne surgeon".  You might type that in the search field and read awhile.  

Probably the main thing those posts say is to choose a board certified plastic surgeon to do the surgery, not a general surgeon.  But the recommendations go further.  Just any plastic surgeon won't do and is not recommended.  Your best bet is to choose a plastic surgeon who specializes in gyne surgery.  And if they don't "specialize" in it, you want one that at least performs many each year and a few each month.  

After you narrow it down, your decision should be based on the before and after pictures they provide you of other gyne surgeries they have done (they should have a large selection to look at), and just your overall confidence level when you talk to them.  Yes, you should interview them before making a decision.  

Gyne surgery is not to be taken lightly.  It's a big decision and all the surgeons that do it were not created equal.  Like anything else, practice makes perfect, and that's why you want to go to a surgeon that is very experienced in gyne surgery.  

The best chance to make the condition look the best is with the FIRST surgery.  And you only get ONE first chance.  So try not to let money be the main factor when choosing your surgeon.  And if you might have to travel or be inconvenienced to go to the doctor you like, don't hesitate.  

This site also has links for finding experienced surgeons near you, so you might try that.  It also has several plastic surgeons that make comments and answer questions.  You'll probably run into a few of their posts when you do a search for "choosing a gynecomastia surgeon".

Good luck.

Re: Kind of freaking out
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 01:26:25 AM »
i suffered with gyne for 8 -9 years too mate..
before getting the surgery - i dropped around 25 kilos -and when I kept on exercising(running, and lifting weights)..at one stage i saw nothing happening on my chest..as much as pushups..dumbell press..chest press as i used to do..nothing was working

went to a doc..told my story..ans i was advised surgery as the last resort.

get to a point where u cant loose ne more fat..and I think thats when u shud consider gyne surgery.. talk to the doctor...
many things are a factor here

1. ur body fat content
2. stubborn fat
3. is it a gland? or fat ? or both
4. if its fat and gland -- then try to melt it until u see nothing happening..and then opt for surgery to remove the gland..

but if u have been thru exercise/and the doc has said its a gland-- mate go and get it done.. ur quality of life will improve..u will b more confident.. u will have a better life.. . Don't look back..:).. all the best..
My Before and After :

freaking out kind of

Started by Zer0flight on Post Surgery and Healing After Surgery

1 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 04:01:04 AM
by eager1983
Help - Freaking Out

Started by sparts on Surgery Experiences

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2015, 10:50:35 PM
by Paa_Paw
Help - Freaking Out

Started by sparts on Post Surgery and Healing After Surgery

1 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 03:31:28 PM
by notoriouscate
freaking out !

Started by randomlygothere23 on User Photos

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 11:53:07 PM
by Paa_Paw