Hello Guest

Having surgery soon, excuses to get out of work?

• 5 Replies
Having surgery soon, excuses to get out of work?
« on: July 23, 2010, 12:04:52 PM »
Hey guys, so I have my sugery scheduled for 2 weeks from now.  The only problem is that my work schedule for that week has already been posted.  What should I tell my boss to get out of work?  Obviously, I'm too embarassed to tell him the truth, and I know whatever I tell him will get around to my coworkers.  Anybody have any suggestions?  I feel like I can't say that I'm going out of town, because I will most likely be seen out, since I live so close to my work.  Also, how much time do you guys think I will need off to recover?  My job involved lifting a lot of boxes (some heavy, some not), so I'm a little worred about that.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Linkback: https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=21173.0

Re: Having surgery soon, excuses to get out work?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »
broken ribs?

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 01:36:05 PM »
Wow really?  4-5 weeks?  I don't know if I can do that.  The lifting usually consists of boxes ranging from 5-30 lbs, but I am not lifting them above my head, usually just carrying them or placing them on the ground.  Is taking only a week off of work realistic?  Also, I could always just take it easy at work too.  Another question, what is the compression vest like?  Is it noticeable under a short sleeve work shirt?  The surgeon also said that I would need to wear some sort of apparatus that drained the fluid occasionally.  Has anybody heard of or had any experience with this?

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 02:36:37 PM »
Ok, I just called the doctor and spoke to one of the nurses.  She said that I should take off at least 3 weeks, knowing that I may need even more time beyond that.  Now I need to think of a good excuse to tell my boss for why I will have to miss work for 3 weeks.  Anybody have any good ideas?  I want to let them know tomorrow, so they can make arrangements to have people cover for me.  I like my job and definitely do not want to lose it.  Can anybody think of any medical reasons for why I would have to miss 3 weeks of work (not being able to lift)? 

Re: Having surgery soon, excuses to get out of work?
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 06:06:45 PM »
dislocated shoulder?

Re: Having surgery soon, excuses to get out of work?
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 01:06:52 AM »
it depends on where you work and how professional they are. when i'm gonna do my surgery all i'm gonna tell my supervisor is: without going into details, i'm gonna take X weeks off to have a surgery. if requested, i can bring you paper from the dr.
again, it totally depends on the nature of the work you do. my work is a regular office work and everybody is professional.
good luck on your surgery

xx
Any good excuses for missing work due to surgery?

Started by tubbs on Gynecomastia Talk

17 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 04:04:19 AM
by donnieosmond
xx
Excuses at work?

Started by mothamercy on Gynecomastia Talk

10 Replies
Last post July 24, 2005, 05:45:26 PM
by Youngboi
xx
Excuses for having surgery