Hello Guest

1 day post-op and having problems

  • 9 Replies
1 day post-op and having problems
« on: July 27, 2006, 01:08:19 PM »

  I am a 30-year old male and have suffered with pretty severe gyncomastia since I was about 12. I finally had surgery yesterday and am, unfortunately, having some problems. I wondered if anyone here may have experienced anything similar and if so, might have some advice, encouragement...anything!

 Just as I was leaving the surgery center yesterday, I sat up and realized that my left side had swollen immensely after the surgery. the nurse explained that I had a hematoma and she would have to call my Dr.

 She did so but he was in surgery at another hospital so they prepped me to go back into surgery and he finally arrived about 4 hours later. He did not take me back into surgery after all. Instead, he aspirated 300 cc's of blood/fluid from my left chest area at the bed side.

 I then left hoping that would be the end of it. This morning when I got up and removed the pressure vest, it was just as big again. Just full of fluid. I had to go back into his ofice and have it drained again.

 He told me that this is not common and that he would consider it a "minor setback" however, he had a rather concerned look in his eye today. I am thinking that he is more worried about it than he is letting on.

 Now, my left side is still much larger than the right because of all of the fluid that was in there as well as the trauma of the aspiration.

Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it last?  I am worried that it will be full again tomorrow.

 In addition, on the right side, there is an area just above the nipple that is sunken in. I am worried about this as well. My Doctor said that this is most likely the result of swelling around that area and that it will be fine after all of that goes down...I hope so.

 Last but not least, I have absolutely no sensation in either nipple as of right now. I am sure that this may take some time to return but I am already worried about it. That was one of my biggest concerns about having this! I hope that doesn't sound ridiculous! Anyway, I hope that someone can tell me how long this usally takes and/or if there is anything else that I can do to ensure that it happens.

Thanks alot!

Take care

Charles ???

Linkback: https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=7629.0

Re: 1 day post-op and having problems
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »
Don't worry too much about the swelling.  The first few weeks, you may feel like you are wearing a bullet proof vest.  I had a seroma and he had to drain it, but I don't think it was near what you had.  I would just keep the preasure on it, maybe even use some ice.  Although it would be hard to penetrate the pads.  I don't know if the hole is something to worry about.  I have one that is still hasn't gone away.  Next time they let you take off you vest, flex.  If it moves, don't let him tell you it is nothing.  Mine moves when I flex, so I think it is scar tissue or something like that.  I will let you know what my PS says when I see him again.  As for the lack of feeling in your nips, everyone says that.  It supposedly gets better in the coming months.  It doesn't bother me, so I haven't asked my PS about it.  

Rule of thumb is don't over react until at least 3 months.  If you read a lot of the threads, you will see that the main concern long term is scar tissue, or surgeries that don't remove enough gland.  Everything else seems to fix itself with time.

Good luck

Re: 1 day post-op and having problems
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 04:11:50 PM »
Well, 300cc of blood is pretty big I'd say. But, it does happen. My right and left looked about the same for nearly 2 weeks and then the left went down significantly faster than the right. I kept feeling it and pushing on it and it felt like fluid was in there. I finally went in to see my PS and he attempted to drain it but nothing aspirated. He told me it more than likely was fluid withing the tissue and it would eventually settle. This was 2 weeks ago this past tuesday. That same day I attempted to get it drained it swelled even more and bruised really bad. I know it was from that huge needle he dug instead me for nearly 10 minutes trying to aspirate fluid. I now wish I would have just waited as the extra trauma has slowed me down some in recovering. To this day it is bruised a tad on that side. Which is amazing considering I was bruised all over after surgery and those bruises healed much faster. Now, 2 weeks and a few days later it finally is going down in swelling. I was beginning to think the worst. The moral of my story is have patience. The doctor knows what he is talking about and time will do the trick. Keep from looking at it as much as this will drive you crazy beyond belief. I have barely looked at my chest except for when I take my weekly pictures for my files. I do feel better not looking and know in another 4 weeks it'll be just fine.

Re: 1 day post-op and having problems
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 04:27:20 PM »
Thanks so much for the comments guys. I will absolutely take your advice.  I am feeling a little better because tonight it does not seem to be filling up again. It is slightly larger than the right side but nothing like it was yesterday after surgery or this morning. I am sure that is just because it has had so much more done to it than the other side. I am going to try to be positive and remind myself of how happy I will be when everything is done!

Thanks again!


Re: 1 day post-op and having problems
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 08:52:33 AM »
Update: 3 days post-op:

  Hello everyone. Greetings from Columbus, Ohio. I saw the PS for the third day in a row yesterday and he decided that since my left side had filled-up with fluid for the third consecutive day that he would insert a drain to try to take care of it. Now, I have a lovely blood-filled drain tucked in my pocket!

 I have not emptied it very much so it seems that things are improving. He is hoping to take it out on Monday when I go back. I sure hope so.  My left side is still much larger than the left but it has had significantly more trauma so I assume that is normal...

 I also am feeling tired, a little nauseated, and a little dizzy at times. Did anyone else experience that? I am not really complaining about it, just wondering.

I know in a few months this will all be worth it! : )

Thanks and take care

Charles :)


Offline buddy

  • *
  • 25
Re: 1 day post-op and having problems
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 02:02:11 PM »
Hey man, I had a similar situation as you, and as after I got my left side drained, after the hematoma, I got an infection. This caused extreme fatigue, head aches, sweating, loss of appetite. If you have any of these symptoms, call your dr before it gets worse. Anitbiotics worked within 24 hrs, but the left side filled again but this time with puss.

All the best with your recovery.

Re: 1 day post-op and having problems
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 07:34:46 PM »
Anytimeyou have surgery you should drink a lot of water. You may be a little dehydrated.  As for the infection,  weren't you put on anti-biotics after surgery?  It should nip the chances of infection.

Re: 1 day post-op and having problems
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 06:45:53 PM »
hey mate i was just wondering what exact procedures were performed on you(lipo, gland excision, both?) im no doctor, but ive had my share of experience, and from what i hear, after surgery, taking antiobiotics(even just precautionary) will quickly help w/ the infection..but make sure to report this to your PS if he hasnt already prescribed you..
Woot WOot!

Re: 1 day post-op and having problems
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 01:25:28 PM »
Thanks again guys for your replies. I did have gland excision and lipo. Today is one week post-op and I am still having a he** of a time. My drain was taken out on Monday and by that evening I was burning up with, I think, the worst fever I have ever had.

No, I was not on antibiotics after surgery. I had a shot of Keflex in the OR but that was it.

Anyway, I went back to the PS yesterday and he said I likely had an infection and prescribed me Keflex pills three times a day. My left side was full again at that time but he did not drain it.

Today, the pressure was so bad that I had to go to the office again and have the fluid removed. He removed two big syringe fulls of dark blood.

My left side is so big from all of this. I think it is bigger than before actually. Needless to say, I am pretty discouraged. I have had one problem after another. I am starting to think that gyne was better than all of this!  :-[


Offline buddy

  • *
  • 25
Re: 1 day post-op and having problems
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 04:09:25 AM »
Hey man,

I am now 7 week post op and things are getting better. I had the gland exscision, then a hematoma, second surgery, draining, and a killer infection, with draining again. After the fluid was finally drained for the last time, the swelling started to go down. However, I have some scar tissue on the side of the trauma, which may take a while to heal. It make the nipple stick out 1 cm which looks kind of freaky. This sucks because may right side is perfect. ANyway it does get better, just stay on top of the draining because healing does not happen until the fluid is drained. I have seen a lot of progress this week.

Post op problems, HELP!!!

Started by kokos on Ask a Doctor

9 Replies
Last post December 13, 2015, 03:05:22 PM
by kokos
1 day post-op and having problems

Started by Chargrr on Post Surgery and Healing After Surgery

0 Replies
Last post July 27, 2006, 01:08:19 PM
by Chargrr
post op problems - 4 weeks later

Started by mr_t on Surgery Experiences

0 Replies
Last post December 21, 2005, 05:28:50 PM
by mr_t
post op problems - 4 weeks later

Started by mr_t on Post Surgery and Healing After Surgery

2 Replies
Last post December 25, 2005, 11:33:48 AM
by orrible