Hypertrophic or keloid scars?

Hypertrophic or keloid scars?
« on: October 28, 2017, 11:20:42 pm »
I had a male mastopexy done about 4 months ago and i developed horrible scars. I was just wondering what is my next step from here? I feel very self conscious, worst then when i had gyno. I was just wondering if my scars are hypertrophic or keloids.

Linkback: https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=32962.0

Re: Hypertrophic or keloid scars?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 12:52:23 am »
Most certainly hypertrophic, but no one will know for sure unless they do a culture sample. Generally, if it starts growing and looks "lumpy", then you have yourself a keloid.

Your options towards healing are simple and straightforward. I recommend following this linear progression.

1. Silicon pads for right now

2. Call 2 dermatologists tomorrow and schedule appointments for scar injections. Choose the one with the best qualifications and feedback. Make sure that the doctor you see is board certified. They will almost certainly do triamcinolone steroid injections starting with 10mg/ml and potentially working their way up to 40. They may do a few injections for each visit. You will see your derm at least 2+ times over the course of 8 weeks with a visit every 4-6 weeks. These injections could be pretty painful depending on how much sensitivity you still have after doing your gyno surgery. These injections will help flatten your scars and bring your pain from pressure on the scar to 0. It took me 3 months and 4 visits to see this affect. This should be covered by your insurance, so no worries here.

3. PDL (vbeam) to help alleviate the redness. I started my sessions after I did the injections but I don't think you have to. Expect $100+ per session per scar.

4.  Medical tattooing. They will match your areola and simply draw over your incision marks. Look at some of the before/after pictures as multiple clinics. I may also go this route!

5. Scar Revision. Your scars are nicely placed near the aerola which is fantastic since it is hard to see them from a distance. There is no guarantee going this route because you could relapse. My Dr suggested low-dose radiation therapy and cortisone injections on the scar site following surgery to mitigate these risks. They must also close the wound with minimal tension. You should wear a compression vest for as long as possible post op (on the scale of months here!). Try to immobilize your movement as much as possible. Look up the studies on this on ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

6. Time. They say time heals all wounds. Your scars and mine however won't improve much with time. You will need to take action to see any drastic improvement.

Look at my thread where I posted my results just recently to also see what a hypertrophic scar looks like.

Good luck and keep everyone posted!

To add your comment, register or log in to your account.

clip
Scar revision for hypertrophic scars

Started by Dghtx832

3 Replies
Last post December 24, 2017, 12:27:29 pm
by Dr. Elliot Jacobs
xx
hypertrophic scars and glandular tissue side of chest

Started by Hdaddy

1 Replies
Last post January 26, 2010, 11:55:14 am
by Dr. Elliot Jacobs