Hello Guest

hormone level

• 1 Replies
hormone level
« on: April 30, 2009, 04:30:02 AM »
hi ...i'm 21 years old and i think i have gynecomastia..went to a doctor and asked me to do a testosterone and prolactin level test.
i got 7.06 ng/ml for testosterone.
       11.94 ng/ml for prolactin.

is that considered normal ...i think the prolactin might be slightly elevated..i'd like a doctors opnion on that.
thanks..

Linkback: https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17574.0

Offline Paa_Paw

Re: hormone level
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 01:42:56 PM »
The usual normal level of prolactin is anything less than 20ng/ml. Your particular lab may have results that average more or less than that so you would want their reference levels.

Prolactin level varies greatly over the course of a day, so the timing of the test could have a significant impact upon the result.

Problems usually result in levels that are far from borderline or "slightly elevated." A prolactinoma could raise the level well into the hundreds for example.

It should always be remembered that none of the hormones work alone. One analogy I like is to compare a solo instrumental performance to a full orchestra. The hormones work together in concert. The individual values are less important than how they relate to one another.

Interpreting the results of hormonal tests can be a very complex matter, best left to an Endocrinologist.

Do not put too much stock in what I have said or what you may get from anyone else. this is an area where you will need to trust your Doctor.
Grandpa Dan

xx
Hormone level questions

Started by miscellaneousmedia on Gynecomastia Talk

15 Replies
Last post September 13, 2006, 04:43:55 PM
by miscellaneousmedia
xx
Testosterone/hormone level check

Started by KL on Gynecomastia Talk

13 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 07:14:22 PM
by KL
xx
Getting Hormone level Test Done. 1 Quest

Started by RickWalia007 on Gynecomastia Talk

6 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 01:40:17 AM
by RickWalia007
xx
could gyne get worse with a normal hormone level?

Started by collateral on Gynecomastia Talk

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2005, 02:46:23 PM
by DrBermant