Hello Guest

My Story

  • 6 Replies
My Story
« on: March 10, 2010, 04:04:03 AM »
My story is much the same as anyone elses. I have a degree of gland/puffiness. It is not large on its own, but is enough to ruin the contour of my chest. It started developing in puberty. Though statistically it may have be common (bullshit), I'm sure I was the only one throughout late primary and then high school. The only positive was that I wasn't fat as well, though the gyne did make me think it was. One memory in particular I remember; it was at a friends pool, drying off with a towel. The motion must have caused some movement, and I remember catching the glance between my two mates, and the accompanying sniggers. I was never stood around, fingers pointing teased, but there were frequent (well to my mind anyway) comments on me having breasts and boobs. But the worst was the pinching; the protrusion from a tshirt makes a great target apparently. As I got bigger, this would be around 15 or so, I started getting faster with my hands, able to block that crap. I accidentally dislocated a friends ring finger once, for which I have no remorse.

 Lifting weights and rugby union only made things more prominent to my mind. I always thought there was nothing I could do about it, and I didn't realise the effect it was having on my life until late high school. I went to 2 pool parties. I avoided the beach, avoided anything where I'd have to disrobe. I was still fit and strong, but was never really typed as such because of the shape of my chest. Girls either noticed and avoided me (not that I knew), or said nothing but some of them clearly thought it was odd. Thankfully I did have some wonderful sexual experiences during the formative years, sex was not an issue (lights turn off), but I have never felt otherwise desired for my masculinity or body, (as shallow as that may seem). It has affected my self confidence, what I wear, who I meet and where I go.

I think most can understand that I am not searching for perfection, but rather the correction of an abnormality, so if I come off as being shallow or overly body conscious, forgive me. I merely want to walk around as anonymously as the next reasonably muscular young man looking for gratification.

I found out about corrective surgery in maybe my last year of high school. I have been employed since I was 15, am 22 in April. So for the last few years I have been saving. I never knew how much the operation would cost, or what was available, but I was good with money, even though I was earning darn all. I procrastinated, but also lived in the hope that it mightjust go away as I grew.

I would like to thank all those who have come before me on these forums, all of them, for had it not been for the internet and anonymity I would most likely still be without hope. The doctors appointment was to prove that well enough. At first she flat out denied that I had anything. I came prepared with a few articles, journals and printed pictures (I'm a uni student at a research heavy uni...so I know how to argue shit basically). I pretty much said, do some real fucking work, I'm sorry you can't just write a pill and the problem goes away, but you ARE a fucking doctor aren't you? She gave me the referral to Sue. Luckily I am in Melbourne.

I have told my mother and only my mother. She was very good about it, and said if it bothers you, then you should do something about it. She inferred alot. People, please tell your parents, especially you younger guys. They love you, it's that simple.

The meeting with Sue was fantastic. She basically asked me a few questions about lifestyle, had a look, confirmed it, explained what was possible then in depth about the procedure, which I already knew most of. My big sticking point was price, I had budgeted well over, but it was still reassuring to know exactly what I was down for. It is very similiar to what others have posted, for excision only

Sue's Fee's: 3500 - 800 Medicare rebate.
Clinic Fee's: I have basic private hospital, so I will only pay 500. I will try and find the exact amount pre rebate. (working from memory).
Anesthetist: between 600 and 800.
Stockings: 60 or so I think.

I will post pictures soon, and will be updating this regularly as my surgery occurs and as my recovery goes on. If you post here, I will answer. If you PM me, I will answer. This thread is my homepage for the next 3 months. You are unknown, but not alone.


Linkback: https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=20260.0

Re: My Story
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 04:29:41 PM »
Well written mate, liking you "matter of fact/ no bullshit" style. Good luck with everything mate and make sure to keep us posted.

I have my surg next week. Fingers crossed!

Re: My Story
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:09:36 PM »

Pictures as promised. Sorry some didn't turn out so well, but I think they're illustrative. Surgery tomorrow....

Re: My Story
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:53:24 AM »
Surgery went well, have spent the last 2 days in bed, but I feel pretty good, there is minimal pain. Appears to have been a success. Worst thing so far is sleeping on my back, which I hate to do.

Re: My Story
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 07:54:20 AM »
Surgery went well, have spent the last 2 days in bed, but I feel pretty good, there is minimal pain. Appears to have been a success. Worst thing so far is sleeping on my back, which I hate to do.

Spent the last 2 days in bed?  Any particular reason?  I haven't heard anyone say they did that yet.  Myself, I was sore but business as usual, even the day of surgery.  Took a few naps on the Vicoden they prescribed.  I was actually forced to use my snowblower 2 days later but took that VERY easy.

Anyway, glad to hear you're doing well.  We'll be looking forward to your post-op pictures of success!

Re: My Story
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 08:12:10 AM »
I spent the two days in bed because I'm lazy and now don't have to go to work, not for any medical reason. 4 hours after the surgery I was physically quite fine, walking around, etc,. I'll get some pics up tomorrow, after I take them in the morning. So far the vest is getting itchy, but sometimes I forget about it, sleep sucks, and there is very little pain, I have to keep reminding myself not to stretch the range of motion and stuff.

Re: My Story
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:49:47 PM »
One week on, results are looking good, had the sutures out and everything ok there, supposed to treat with bio oil and vitamin e and d. I feel back up to 90% and just can't do any heavy lifting as of yet, or any other exercise really, which is a bummer. I still have some tape on so pictures are pretty pointless atm, hopefully in the next few days I can take it off.

My story from one doctor to another. My story ends with Dr.Elliot

Started by Mr.Sweden on Your Stories

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 09:42:42 AM
by Dr. Elliot Jacobs
My story!

Started by f1r3mn on Your Stories

3 Replies
Last post January 07, 2006, 04:33:37 PM
by f1r3mn
My Story

Started by nzwelly on Surgery Success Stories

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 09:37:57 PM
by nzwelly
My Story

Started by 7867545412 on Your Stories

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2007, 09:57:38 PM
by normexcept