Hello Guest

How to pick a doctor?

• 2 Replies
How to pick a doctor?
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:11:55 AM »
Hi all,

I have again recently begun investigating gynecomastia surgery. I was making inquiries into this about 3 years ago and life got in the way, now I’m free to pursue this again.

To begin with here’s some context.
I have had this issue as far back as I can remember, it developed in my early teens and still exists to present day, I have hard tissue behind both nipples the left being larger than the right.

I previously posted pictures (with a different account which I have since lost the password and email associated with the account) here’s the link:
https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/ask-a-doctor/38/professional-opinion/31573

All indicators point to adolescent gynecomastia that never went away. In any case here are my questions:

1. I have previously had my testosterone levels checked (they are normal) is there anything else I should be investigating - is having gynecomastia indicative of any underlying issue that is still present that I should investigate?

2. How exactly do I go about picking a doctor - I see a surgeon mentioned in a positive light in the forums, then another post paints a negative experience of that same doctor. Are there any specific questions I should be asking the surgeon to give me a better indication if they are the right person for the job? (Also Im in Melbourne Australia any doctor recommendations are greatly appreciated).

Thanks very much.

Linkback: https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=34184.0

Re: How to pick a doctor?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 08:54:55 PM »
Picking your surgeon can be a difficult thing. First and foremost are results. Check out the surgeon's photo gallery. The more the better but it is really the quality of the results rather than the quantity. If what you see resonates with you than you're off to a good start. Then go for a consultation. Does the surgeon make sense with his explanations and recommendations? Is he/she approachable? Where will the surgery be performed and is it fully accredited? Does the office welcome you and help you to feel comfortable? These are the major points in choosing a surgeon. Good luck.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: [email protected]

Offline Litlriki

• Dr. Silverman's Website
Re: How to pick a doctor?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 06:11:46 PM »
The system in Australia is a bit different from here in the states, as the condition can be treated through the NHS (or that was possible in the past--I did a fellowship in Melbourne in 1993).  In the years since I was there, there are surgeons who fashion their practices a bit more after the US model, and they may focus on procedures like gynecomastia excision.  If you can find someone like that, you'll probably have a better chance of a good outcome.  Good luck. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
[email protected]

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

xx
Take Your Pick

Started by gyn10 on Gynecomastia Talk

4 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 09:19:22 AM
by gyn10
xx
Who did you get to pick you up from the Clinic?

Started by bluenose on Gynecomastia Talk

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2012, 07:25:48 PM
by bluenose
xx
Who would you pick for a crew to Mars and why?

Started by Paa_Paw on Lounge Area

2 Replies
Last post December 14, 2012, 08:55:51 PM
by Paa_Paw
xx
Big dillema... trying to pick between doctors...

Started by daewoo123 on U.S.

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2010, 10:07:12 PM
by daewoo123