Hello Guest

Best type or brand of bra to buy?

• 6 Replies
Best type or brand of bra to buy?
« on: October 30, 2019, 02:51:44 PM »
Wondering which direction to go in buying a bra.  I'm guessing I'm a 48C or D.  My breasts are wide apart and beginning to sag a bit ...also with "side boob".  For others with experience, what do you recommend?  Underwire? Wire free?  T-shirt bra?  Thinking I need something with a wide band under the arms to hold in the side boob.  If anyone has ideas what type of bra might be best, please post.  Thanks!

Linkback: https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=35474.0

Re: Best type or brand of bra to buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 03:34:12 PM »
I know I'm not really one to talk (I haven't mustered the courage myself), but that "I'm guessing 48C or D" tells me you don't really know your size.  If you decide to start wearing a bra, it's really better to get a formal fitting.

That aside, the general consensus seems to be that underwire is much more comfortable, at the expense of giving your breasts more feminine shape.  But several members here have stated how the comfort is worth the look.  Regarding the style of bra, that depends on your breasts.  The only way to really know what suits you is to get fitted.  Otherwise you risk for example having wires that dig in.  And as for the side boob, a wired bra is supposed to contain everything (assuming you put it on right).

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 04:21:15 PM »
Yes, an underwire will help with that and they also make some with side support that will help. Do a search of your size with side support. Don’t be afraid to try different styles of bra to find what you like. I really had no idea when I started to wear a bra all that were out there. My wife was very supportive and helpful. Once I found my size, I have tried many. SomeI really like, some I like but not so much the look they give and other were just not for me. So find your size and try the styles till you find something you like

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 07:29:53 PM »
Go here and use this measurement calculator. It's the most accurate of any of them. It uses 6 measurement points where the others only use 2. If you are 48 C or D, I would bet your band is actually a little smaller than you think and your cups might be a little larger than you think. Also remember, 80 to 90% of the support comes from the band around your rib cage, and not the straps so you want the band really snug but not painful, particularly if you are as large as you think you are. A loose band will ride up your back. Sure sign that the band is to large and the cups are probably too small. You want that band to not move when you raise your arms up over your head. If it does, the band is too large.

https://www.abrathatfits.org/calculator.php

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 11:18:57 AM »
Most places nowadays that sell bras are ready and waiting to fit us. Go get fitted!  It can be a very uplifting experience! Once you get professionally fitted you can see how wonderful wearing a bra can be.
Bras aren't for women, they're for breasts.

Offline dbweb

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 08:41:43 AM »
Interesting topic to read and understand as well when deciding to get a bra that fits well.  I used the calculator provided and it suggested a 48D which is very interesting to me in that the last time I was fitted (just a few months ago at a local Catherine's) the SA also suggested that size but recommended trying on several from 46D  up and several 48 bands with different cup sizes.  I ended up where I started, by getting more of the 48B size which seemed to fit me best, finding it has a lot to do with how the cups are designed IE the molded cups tend to run larger, the unlined smaller. Also keep in mind, some bra designs are intended to enhance projection, which you can avoid knowing this. 
The point, you really need to try on any bra you want to buy prior to, these things are not so inexpensive that you can just toss them into a drawer and ignore  if it doesn't fit right.  And believe me, a proper fitted bra can be so comfortable you forget you have it on.  last point, a proper bra really does a good job of not only keeping you comfortable, but also helping blend in  your breast so that rather than a bouncy blob under your shirt, you have simply some well defined bumps that draw far less attention.  

Offline blad

« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:32:32 PM »
Bra size numbers are all over the place. Without at least trying them on in the store it is total luck if you come home with something that really works for you. You know when you reach that point when you start forgetting you are even wearing a bra.