My Surgery Day

Well, this is how my surgery day went. My parents and I left our home at around 2:30am and arrived at Saint Mary's, in San Francisco, around 6:00 - 6:30am. They already had a room for me ready to go, my surgery was at 10:00am. I signed the paper work and then they gave me my socks and put a name tag around my wrist, after double making sure my name was spelled right. My parents and I went into my room and watched TV. The nurse came in and told me to relax. I had time to wait. The robe they gave me was short and after I was told that all I was going to wear was a robe and the socks I went and told them that it only went down to my waist. They brought me two longer ones. They also wanted me to use the bathroom before surgery and then they asked me why I was there. They had to make sure it matched the paperwork.

Finally it was time. I was in my two gowns and socks and then the nurse told me that I had put the gowns on wrong, so I had to change them around. The guy, who had come in after the nurse, helped me onto the wheelchair. This was one of the cool parts. I had fun riding on the wheelchair. We went down the hall around a corner and onto an elevator. We then went down another hall to the waiting room. The nurse asked me who I was and then asked me a few questions...allergic to anything, last time ate, if I smoke stuff like that. Then another nurse, I think, came by and asked the same questions. The doctor and the anesthesilogist came and talked to me. I was given warm blankets and soon I was wheeled off to the surgery room, again in the wheel chair.

I got into the room and sat on the operating table. The nurse pulled my front gown down and the doctor marked my chest. There were people moving and talking all around me. I lay down on the table, I was nervous and at the same time excited, whenever they were going to do something to me they told me before they did it. The nurse pulled out two side arms from the table and I rested on arms on them.

The anesthesiologist, told me that he was going to put me under and if I did well he would continue, but if not he would wake me up and the doctor would perform the surgery while I was awake. I fell asleep, while staring at the lights over me, and woke up in the recovery room. I was told that it took 3 hours, instead of the less then 2.5 hours I was told it would probably take. I don't remember much about the recovery room except that twice a nurse told me to take in big breathes, in and out, and that another person was in the bed next to mine.

I remember waking up in my hospital room, with my parents there. I was only planning to stay for a 1.5 hours, but every time I thought I was okay to leave I felt pain just trying to get out of the bed. I slept for about 6 hours, on and off, before I finally left the hospital. About an hour or so before I left the nurse gave me a shot, via the IV, and that burned for a bit.

Everyone was so friendly and I joked with them and was relaxed and excited about the surgery. I am so happy that my first experience in a hospital was such a nice one.

I thank Dr. Miguel Delgado, Jr. and the rest of the people who helped with my surgery.

Featured Doctors

Find a Gynecomastia Surgeon