Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery
Gynecomastia costs are one of the topics that members of our community discuss most often. In order to demystify the subject, we looked at sources such as the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and asked gynecomastia experts listed on our website for the average cost of surgeries they perform. We received a range of quotes, from $4,000 to $10,000, for surgeries performed in the U.S., Europe and Australia.
Gynecomastia Costs Usually Include
- Surgeon’s fee
- Facility and procedural costs
- Medical testing
- Prescriptions for medication
Why Gynecomastia Surgery Costs Vary?
- Some patients require a simple liposuction. In other cases breast tissue needs to be broken up and removed, shape of nipples need to be altered and other issues need to be addresses in surgery. As a result, surgical time can vary greatly, resulting in additional costs (the surgeon’s time, surgical staff’s time, usage of facility for longer hours).
- Experts such as the ones listed on gynecomastia.org have more training and experience in performing surgery compared with general plastic surgeons. You should find a surgeon who has many before/after photos to show you and has operated on patients with similar condition dozens of times. This can save you from less-than-optimal results and in some cases the need for revisional surgery. Often, gynecomastia specialists charge higher rates for their surgical skills and their low rate of revision surgeries. You would still pay less than if you end up shelling out for a second surgery, to correct another surgeon’s work.
- Doctors who practice in cities where overheard costs are higher, such as NYC or San Francisco, have to charge more per case.
Will My Insurance Cover The Cost of Surgery?
Since the majority of Gynecomastia cases are cosmetic, they are rarely covered by medical insurance providers. Based on the accounts of patients and surgeons, in some cases, if the condition carries a medical risk or causes pain to the patient, there is a chance that the HMO will cover the surgery.
Cost of Revision Surgery
In some cases, men undergo surgery and when the appearance of their chest stabilizes, feel unhappy with the result. The plastic surgeon who originally operated on the patient will often agree to do corrective work at no/low cost. Patients are advised to wait at least a year and seek a second opinion before undergoing another surgery. Revision surgeries, when performed by well-known gynecomastia experts, tend to be complex and cost more than primary gynecomastia surgery.
©Copyright 2020 Gynecomastia.org. All rights reserved. Use and access to this site are subject to the terms and conditions as set out in our Legal Statement and Privacy Statement.
The content on Gynecomastia.org is for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. It does not replace the need to meet with a physician who will accurately diagnose your condition and suggest treatment options.