Author Topic: How severe is my case? Is surgical treatment possible without skin excision?  (Read 2289 times)

Offline cho9

• Posting Member
Hello everybody!
I've been following your posts and comments for a while but this is the first time I am posting here.
I've had gynecomastia since my teenage years and it seems it won't change for the better unless I choose the only option I have (beside hiding it and dealing with all the negative consequences): surgery.
I haven't consulted anybody yet, so I would be happy if you could give me some feedback on my case and especially whether surgical treatment is possible without skin removal in my case. Any additional comments are welcome, too.
Thanks in advance! :-)

Linkback: https://www.gynecomastia.org/forum/index.php?topic=30663.0

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The condition is not rated good or bad, or degrees of badness,  You have the condition and if it bothers you then it is bad. if you can ignore it, then it is not too bad. 
You are a bit overweight, don't think I am being rude, so am I. If you are planning on losing weight, you should do that prior to surgery.  Weight loss alone will probably not change the breast size to a significant degree though. 
I too have had the condition since my teens, but I was 12 years old in 1949 and that was a long time before surgical methods made surgery a good alternative like it is today.  
Age is an important factor in your ultimate answer simply because the skin of a younger person is more elastic than that of an older person.   Weight can be an issue as well as the skin does have elastic limits that will define how much the skin will return to a plat profile after surgery.  In an obese person the skin is often not sufficiently elastic to assume a normal profile without removal of at least some skin.
If you seek out the services of a good cosmetic surgeon who has experience with Male breast reduction, they will be able to advise you.  Pictures are of limited help, the hands on exam of the surgeon is the most reliable. 
Do not try to second guess your surgeon, or limit them in any way.   You would not tell a Michelangelo how to sculpt a David would you?  
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are overweight and have pendulous breasts.  Your skin has been stretched out by being heavy and by the excessive size of your breasts.  It is highly unlikely that minimal scar surgery could provide a nice result for you -- the best result would be with fat/gland removal plus skin excision and nipple re-positioning.  That is a significant operation, lasting several hours at best.
Your other alternative is to drop a lot of weight and then look at your chest.  While it is doubtful that your breasts will completely disappear, even with extreme weight loss, you may find that you can more easily deal with it and not have surgery at all.  Or, if at that time you feel you still need surgery, the surgery needed would be a shorter operation.
Good luck!
Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
815 Park Avenue
New York, New York 10021
Telephone:  (212) 570-6080
Email:  [email protected]

Offline cho9

• Posting Member
Thank you very much for your comments, I really appreciate.
Kind regards,
cho9

Offline cho9

• Posting Member
Hello everyone!

A new post after 6 years. :-)

So I've been postponing the operation for years, but this year I got over it (also a special thanks to the pandemic as it made me realise that I should just not postpone it anymore...).
So I did the exams and found a good surgeon in Budapest, who did it on June 8.
The next morning I was released home and spent 6 weeks in a compression vest.

This is how it looks at around 5 months post-op. It was done without skin excision (although that might come in a later stage if I'm not satisfied with the results), with almost no scars remaining. Now I need to massage it every morning, as there is a slight difference between the two sides. The right side still needs a bit more time, I suppose.

But the most important is: I'm so happy that I'm over it, and I already like how it looks.

What do you think? Also, if you have any questions, I can share more details as well. Do you also need to massage yours after the operation?

Offline FredL

• Bronze Member
That's a huge difference. Your breasts are gone! You had some big ones. Congratulations!

It's the greatest feeling ever. And it gets better as time passes. I am 11 months post-op. It's the best thing I ever did for myself.
I never massaged my chest. My Dr never suggested it.
Developed breasts at puberty and had corrective surgery at age 57.

Offline cho9

• Posting Member

Offline FredL

• Bronze Member
This is a link to a thread I started back when I joined, a year ago. The last picture is the best one.
I need to take some new ones because I think I look better now. My last pics were in April and since then I lost some weight and I've been working out a little. I'm at 10 months now and I still see gradual changes in my chest.

I'm traveling to see family for the holiday. People I haven't seen in a year. It's always been stressful because I have to chose clothes to take and I hated everything because of my breasts. This time it's the opposite. I'm taking shirts I never  had the courage to wear before. I'm free from the "my tyts look too big" hang up. 

https://www.gynecomastia.org/forum/user-photos/4/ive-had-breasts-since-i-was-like-10-tell-me-what-you-see/35947/30

Offline cho9

• Posting Member
Thank you. Your chest already looks great. When reading your posts I could identify with almost everything you wrote about your experiences before and after. I know it's a big decision, but it's absolutely worth it. Congrats! 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2021