Gynecomastia Support Forum

General => Gynecomastia Talk => Topic started by: i_dont_know on July 26, 2006, 11:43:54 AM

Title: need some advice.
Post by: i_dont_know on July 26, 2006, 11:43:54 AM
alright, so here's the deal.

i got (which was what i'm almost positive was pubertal) gynecomastia when i was about 14 (i am 21 now). it just kind of came out of nowhere. i remember waking up one day and noticing the glandular tissue under my right nipple and being completely confused. for a while i just waited it out and thought it was something that would clear up on its own. after a few months, there was some growth on the left side. for a while i remember having it on both sides pretty evenly. then eventually, the tissue on the right side dissipated almost to the point where it was back to the way i was beforehand. i can still feel a little bit underneath there, but it looks 99% back to normal in my eyes. i should probably mention that i'm very thin so that makes this whole thing more noticable.

anyway, after the right side pretty much went away, the left side stayed. it's still there. hasn't grown any more. if anything, there was probably a point over the last couple of years where it dissipated a little. it's not gigantic, but it is definitely noticable, especially in contrast to the right side, which like i said, is pretty much gone completely.

now here's my question. i know it's been about 7 years or so by now. but is there any realistic chance still that it might go away on its own? or could something like tamoxifen possibly break it up a little bit? i really do not want to have surgery at this point unless it is the absolute last resort.

i've been dealing with it for a few years now. it's really held me back at some points just because i've been too embarassed to take my shirt off. it's ridiculous to think, but my life would be improved a million times over if i could just get rid of this.

what should i do?
Title: Re: need some advice.
Post by: Paa_Paw on July 26, 2006, 01:51:46 PM
Because of the amount of time which has passed, There is very little to no chance of further shrinkage.
Title: Re: need some advice.
Post by: i_dont_know on July 26, 2006, 02:23:51 PM
i figured that much.

i don't know for sure, but say it turns out there is a hormonal imbalance that i've got. in that event, would medication do anything to alleviate the condition?

the bottom line is that one side is completely acceptable for me. the other is a bit bigger. if i could just find a way to get it down a little bit, i'd feel a lot better.

i've been reading a lot of threads and it seems that surgery is the popular opinion on here. understood given the lack of other options.. but surgery is quite expensive. also, i am a college student. i'll be going back to school in about a month... i can't really afford to just go and get this type of surgery during a school semester and miss days of classes which is why i'm trying to find any other type of way where i can reduce the condition enough to be alright with it.
Title: Re: need some advice.
Post by: Paa_Paw on July 27, 2006, 01:44:20 PM
Asymetrical or even Unilateral Gynecomastia are not uncommon.

There are medications which are helpful in shrinking (but not getting rid of) gynecomastia for some men.

Unfortunatelty, knowing which medication to take and getting the dosage rightr redquires a doctor competent in these matters. The medications themselves require a prescription. Also, the medications only work to a minority of men.
SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2020