Author Topic: Is there a set path to follow?  (Read 196 times)

Offline Jw27

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Hello! I’m a lurker turned final joiner and finally poster. 

I remember being bullied because of my chest when I was younger, I put it off and simply never went swimming Or shirtless. 

I’m now a father of two and they’re getting old enough to learn how to swim so I naturally want to go with them. 

I was wondering if there’s a post on how to start the journey of dealing with gynecomastia? 

I tried to book in with my gp to discuss my options, however it was a few days before the total lockdown that they cancelled the appointment. 

My plan was to go to the GP, talk it through with them, get a hormone test to see if there were any imbalances. All the while exercising to drop weight.

What would I be looking for with the hormone results?

I’ve been exercising as much as I can in lockdown and even completed my first half marathon since starting exercising. 

I weighed 10st 4 at uni and am now at 11st 8 (dropped 7lbs since lockdown) and am 5ft 8 so am attempting to drop a few more lbs before getting a consultation. 

Is this the correct route? 
Exercise -> Gp -> hormone/blood test -> consultation 

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Am I missing any steps?



Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

  • Senior Moderator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4635
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Best suggestion:  get down to the lowest stable weight possible.  Then visit your GP for referral to a plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia.  If the plastic surgeon takes your history and deems it appropriate, you can then have hormonal tests -- but realize virtually all men with gynecomastia have normal hormones, so often it is a waste of time and money.

Then do your research and get the very best gyne specialist possible -- remember, your best shot at a good result is with an expert.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
815 Park Avenue
New York, New York 10021
Telephone:  (212) 570-6080

Offline Dr. Schuster

  • Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • **
  • Posts: 495
The besst route is simply to go to a good gynecomastia surgeon. Blood can be ordered if needed. It is unlikely that additional tests will be needed. Ocaissionally a referral to an endocrinologist will be made. There is not really an effective medicine or other non-surgial treatment. Therefore ultimately you will need surgery if you really want it gone. No need to waste time and energy on other docs. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093

Offline Jw27

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Thank you both for your replies, I will take that information and use it. 
I think It was more curious it’s to see if it was a hormone issue. 

Thank you again


SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2020